The Anti-Psychiatry Movement
The psychiatric profession is under attack by the Church of Scientology. The Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a Scientology advocacy group, released an intense “documentary” called “Psychiatry: An Industry of Death” in 2006. Recently, I stumbled upon a video clip of this pointed film. Interestingly, many videos under the general theme of anti-psychiatry have emerged since Tom Cruise’s outburst on Oprah.
After viewing this clip, I would like to know your reactions. Specifically, in this roundtable, let’s aim to establish fruitful discussion on how modern psychiatric practices have benefited or harmed our society, or both. Are people merely misinformed? Can proper nutrition and exercise solve all the disorders of the mind? Are psychotropics more harmful than good?
Below, I have outlined a few controversial claims made by the CCHR:
- Psychiatrists follow a long-standing “master plan” for world domination.
- Psychiatry is responsible for the Holocaust and the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans.
- Psychiatric facilities pad their bills by provoking patients to violence.
For a listing of major claims stipulated by the Scientology movement on psychiatry, visit the Wikipedia entry on this film and browse the citations therein.
- Improving Emotional Intelligence in Psychosis with Art Therapy
- Multifaceted Causes of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Math Anxiety – Dealing with Fear of Failure
- Boosting Cognitive Performance by… Chewing?
- Can You ‘Catch’ Depression?