Brain Blogger is an award winning health and science blog that covers brain related topics. We review the most impactful news and research related to neuroscience/neurology, psychology/psychiatry, and health/healthcare.
Founded in 2005 by Dr. Shaheen Lakhan, Brain Blogger is an official undertaking of the Global Neuroscience Initiative Foundation (GNIF) — an international charity for the advancement of neurological and mental health patient welfare, education, and research. It is one of the most effective mediums for the GNIF to raise awareness of neuro-related topics.
In 2013, Brain Blogger partnered with UBM Medica — one of the largest media companies in the United States serving the healthcare industry. As a member of the UBM Medica Partner Network, our content will be showcased to more biomedical professionals. We are also a proud member of the 9rules Network and the Scientific American Partner Network — a handful of selected blogs that share similar interests and readership. Also, our commitment to ethical biomedical journalism is exemplified by successfully undergoing annual voluntary certification by HONcode — the oldest and the most used ethical and trustworthy code for medical and health related information available on internet. Moreover, we adhere to the Healthcare Blogger Code of Ethics.
Under the editorship of Dr. Shaheen Lakhan, Brain Blogger hosts a team of over 100 contributors from diverse academic, professional, and social backgrounds: including neurosurgery (Dr. McCleary), psychotherapy (Mr. Yourell), forensic psychology (Dr. MacHovec), nursing (Mrs. Jones), clinical pharmacy (Dr. Gibson), patient advocacy (Mrs. Wilson-Herndon), and general concerned about neurological and mental health (Mr. McIntyre).
From March 2013, Mrs. Holly Cave joined our editorial team as a copyeditor. She holds a masters in science communications from Imperial College London. She served as contemporary science content developer and later senior biomedical content developer for the prestigious Science Museum in London.
Our articles have been featured in or syndicated by the following major media outlets:
- Google News, Reuters, US Airways Magazine, Fox News, Fox Business, USA Today, Time Warner, Newstex, Dayton Daily News, San Francisco Gate, Chicago Sun-Times, Houston Chronicles, Post-Tribune, SouthtownStar, Palm Beach Post, Austin American Statesman, iVillage, Cox Ohio Publishing, and Internet Broadcasting Systems (IBS) — a publisher of over 70 American TV station websites including CNN.com.
We have been listed in or indexed by the following directories, organizations, or sites:
- 9rules Network
- Best of the Web – Neuroscience
- Blog Carnival
- Blog Catalog
- Brain World
- Budapest Open Access Initiative
- DMOZ – Science > Biology > Neurobiology > Publications
- Furry Monkey
- Georgia Institute of Technology, GT LibGuides, Neuroscience
- Google Search
- Intute: Social Sciences
- iTunes Podcast
- Library of Congress — ISSN 1931-6224
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- Nature Blog Network
- Nature Blogs
- odiogo Podcasts
- Research Blogging
- Scientific American Partner Network
- Social Psychology Network, Wesleyan University
- US Department of Education, EROD (Education Resource Organizations Directory)
- University of Texas at Dallas, Callier Center Library
Blogs, articles, and other pages that link to us can be found at:
Ranks, Awards, & Honors
We have been awarded the following accolades or honorable mentions:
- 9 rules — Noteworthy Content of the Week — 03/09/11
- Addiction Inbox — Five Science Blogs You Should Know About
- AllTreatment.com — Best Blogs of 2011
- Blog Carnival – Featured Carnival — 04/16/07, 06/16/07, 09/30/07, 03/12/08, 07/17/08, 10/07/08, 05/27/09, 05/31/09
- Blogger’s Choice Awards Nomination — Best Charity Blog
- Blogs.com — 10 Best Brain Blogs
- Colleges and Universities — 15 Best Brain Blogs of 2009
- Department of Neurology, Miller School of Medicine — NeuroUpdate August 2011
- Forensic Science — Top 30 Neuroscience Blogs
- Healthcare 100 — The World’s Top Blogs on Health and Medicine
- Healthcare Blogger Code of Ethics — Member
- Healthcare Technicians — Top Blogs About Parkinson’s Disease by an Expert
- Master Degree Online — 50 Great Blogs on Psychology
- Master of Public Health — 100 Essential Online Public Health Resources
- Masters in Psych — The Top 50 Bloggers Shedding Light on PTSD
- MedBlogEN — Top 100 Medical Blogs
- Medicalicious — Top 50 Biology Research Blogs (Neuroscience)
- Migravent — 20 Best Blog Sites for Migraine Information and Inspiration
- News 4 2day.com — 100 Best Blogs for Psychology Students
- Nursing Schools — 50 Best Blogs for Dealing With Addiction
- OEDb — 101 Fascinating Brain Blogs
- Online Colleges — 100 Excellent Blogs for Science Teachers
- Online Biology Degree — Top Biology Blogs
- Pharmacy Certification — 50 Fascinating Brain Science Blogs
- PsychCentral — Thinking Blogger Award
- RedScrubs – Top Blog Post — 12/23/08, 03/17/09
- Radiology Schools — 50 Best Blogs for Neurology Students
- Research Blogging Awards 2010 – Finalist for Best Blog — Neuroscience
- Research Blogging Awards 2010 – Finalist for Best Blog — Psychology
- ResearchBlogging.org News – Editor’s Selections — 08/05/09, 09/12/09, 09/19/09, 11/04/09, 11/18/09, 12/02/09, 01/06/10, 01/13/10, 02/10/10, 04/14/10, 06/16/10, 07/14/10, 11/10/10, 12/17/10, 01/05/11, 02/09/11
- Sparkah.com — LA’s Top 100 NON-Celebrity Bloggers You Should Take to Lunch
- Technician Schools — Top 100 Cutting-Edge Science Blogs
- The Daily Reviewer — Top Neuroscience Blogs
- The Dana Foundation — Brain in the News, Recommended Blog
- Top 100 Mental Health and Psychology Blogs
- Wellsphere — 2008 People’s HealthBlogger Award
- Wellsphere – Featured Top Health Blogger — 09/29/08
- Wikio — Health Top Ranking Blog
Book, Multimedia, & Merchandise Reviews
Please send all books and other physical materials to the following address for potential review:
Shaheen Lakhan, MD, PhD, MEd, MS
9500 Euclid Ave, S100C
Cleveland, OH 44195
Should you have special media needing review, please send us a message.
Advertising & Sponsorships
Titles & Abbreviations
ACS: approved clinical supervisor; BA: bachelor of arts; BSN: bachelor of science in nursing; DC: doctor of chiropractic medicine; DDS: doctor of dental surgery; DO: doctor of osteopathy; IT: in training; JD: doctor of jurisprudence (law); LMSW: licensed master social worker; LPC: licensed professional counselor; MA: master of arts; MBA: master of business administration; MBBS: bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery; MD: doctor of medicine; MEd: master of education; MHS: master of health sciences; MPH: master of public health; MS/MSc: master of science; MSW: master of social work; NCC: nationally certified counselor; PharmD: doctor of pharmacy; PhD: doctor of philosophy; PT: physical therapist; RN: registered nurse, RPh: registered pharmacist.
Brain Blogger does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and requests for such communications are discarded. Our content is for information purposes only and should not substitute advice from medical professionals. Our website hosts sponsored ads and links, however, our editorial content is free of outside commercial influence.
Copyright & Intellectual Property
We have been victims of copyright infringement and theft on numerous occasions and in each instance we exercised our legal intellectual property rights afforded by the DMCA and other legal statutes. Our site clearly labels each webpage with “All Rights Reserved” with a hyperlink to this notice. Expressed permission is required in order to re-publish our content (submit your inquiry here).
We neither collect nor share visitor identifying information. Contact information submitted via the contact form remains private and used only to reply to inquiries. Our site employs cookies only for visitors who comment or create user accounts. Cookies eliminate the need to re-enter details for subsequent commentary and permits quicker/sustained logins.
We serve third party ads via the UBM Medica Network (privacy statement).